About Centers of Excellence
The task force established a pilot certification process based on independent evaluation and auditing in association with a European-accredited medical health care evaluation company, GSG Dortmund. 37 CoE have been accredited since 2008.
Benefits reported by certified Centers include:
- Improved recognition (in-house and external)
- More NET patients
- Improved structured cooperation
- Improved MDT Meetings (more in-depth discussions and consistent specialist participation)
- Improved patient documentation
- Improved patient follow-up, quality control and statistics
- Improved research and more patients in clinical trials
- Fruitful discussions with external peers during the audit
- Possibility of recognizing affiliated referral partner
The most important open question at the moment:
- Is there a benefit for patients?
It is likely that patients will benefit from implementation of this rigorous process applied to NET healthcare management, as well as the additional education and research.
Tangible benefits are difficult to assess, but accumulated data during recertification, coupled with data from the ENETS European Registry should provide important information.